Wolford, St Michael
& All Angels
There is a Family Service at 10.30am on the first Sunday of every month, and
services for the major festivals throughout the year. On the third Sunday of
every month a popular ecumenical service (Anglican & Methodist) is held in
Little Wolford Village Hall, also at 10.30am.
Please click on
this link for a detailed schedule of services in the Benefice.
The ecclesiastical parish of Wolford encompasses the two civil parishes of
Great Wolford and Little Wolford; the parish church of St Michael & All Angels
is situated in Great Wolford.
There has been a church on this site, with its panoramic churchyard views
across the valley towards Little Wolford, since Saxon times. The present church
is a Grade 2 listed, early Victorian building by James Trubshaw, dating to the
1830s, although it is thought that the spire of its medieval predecessor was
taken down and resurrected atop the new tower. Some internal modifications were
made in 1876 and 1885, but the layout has remained substantially unchanged, with
a broad nave and large windows. The unusual east window, by Heinersdorf of
Berlin, features four lights of painted rather than stained glass showing the
The church is blessed with an excellent acoustic and sight-lines, making it
an ideal venue for musical performance. The organ is a fine instrument built in
1876 by Charles Martin of Oxford.
Please contact the Churchwardens for any specific enquiries: